Everyone remembers being told off by their parents. But phrases your mum says will stick with you for life. They’re like little pieces of history passed down through generations.
I recently wrote a post about random things Dads do. So I thought I’d pay homage to the Mums who will have at some point said a phrase to their own children that was once said to them. Phrases of reprimand, phrases of encouragement and some just down right sarcastic. Either way they stuck with us and we find ourselves using them now. My wife and I certainly do! So to my mum… I thank you for transferring this invaluable life skill to me.
Here’s a list of 25 funny phrases your Mum says:
1. If you left a light on… “it’s like Blackpool illuminations in here”.
2. Ask your dad
3. No pudding unless you eat all of your Dinner
4. If someone asked you to jump off A cliff would you?
5. It’s pardon, not what
6. I want never gets
7. Were you born in a field… close the door!
8. Crusts give you curly hair (its not true!?)
9. If you live under my roof, you live under my rules
10. You’ll live
11. When you pay the bills you can do what you like
12. Just wait until you’re a parent
13. Beds aren’t made to jump on
14. Do you think this is a hotel!?
15. Life’s not fair
16. I didn’t ask who put it there, I said: “Pick it up!”
17. Stick your finger in that plug socket and you’ll go bang.
18. I’m going to count to 3.
19. Is your dad out of the bathroom yet?
20. Quieten down, I can’t hear myself think.
21. Don’t look at me with those eyes.
22. Don’t you use that tone with me
23. Have an apple if your hungry
24. You’re not going anywhere until you tidy that room.
25. Stop crying or I will give you something to cry about.
Youre time will come
If you arnt using any of these phrases, don’t worry at some point you will. One day you’ll say it and then pause for a second, whilst your kids look at you as if you have said the wrong thing and you’ll realise your time has come to take over the ‘phrase mantle”
Leave a comment if you can think of more funny phrases your Mum says.